Currently Reading



Dark Rooms by Lili Anolik - I had so many issues with this book.  So, so many.  Stylistically, I hated it.  As for the story, it's preposterous.  A young girl is found murdered in the cemetery in between her house and her school's campus.  A year later, her older sister decides that she needs to solve the mystery of the murder, despite the fact that everyone believes a boy confessed in his own suicide note.  None of the characters are anything but one-dimensional caricatures.  Do not read.  I was infuriated by the end.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - Despite the fact that I've seen the movie countless times, I had never ead The Virgin Suicides, so I decided it was time.  The movie follows along with the book almost perfectly, so there were no surprises in terms of story for me, but the language was simply beautiful.  I'm always floored while reading anything by Eugenides, but this truly is one of the most gorgeous uses of language I've ever had the pleasure of reading.  If you don't know the story, five sisters, the Lisbon girls, commit suicide during their teenage years.  It sounds horrible, and it is, but their story is told through the eyes of the neighborhood boys who love them.

Here & There by Joshua Scher -  This book is...good.  But I don't know what to do with it.  It's long - I'm still only about 2/3 of the way through, but so much has already happened.  Danny's mom has disappeared.  Through a small series of clues, he finds a briefcase of hers, filled with what appears to be her last case (she was a psychiatrist).  Through her report, notes, and Danny's own thoughts, we learn the story of Kerek Reider, a brilliant scientist, his wife Eve, and their sons, Otto and Ecco.  There's espionage and paranoia and science and romance and so many other wonderful, intriguing things happening all at once.  I hope the remainder of the book is as good as the beginning!


Comments

Popular Posts