Currently Reading

1 // 2 // 3

The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf - I really like Naomi Wolf's work.  She is smart and backs up her argument with fact.  I only just started The Beauty Myth, but her main argument seems to be that when women entered the work force, the pressure to be "beautiful" increased exponentially as a way to control women within male-dominated structures.  This book was published in 1991 and so much of it still rings true.  I'm excited to get deeper into it and see where she takes her argument.  It's depressing, but fascinating.  Maybe I'll throw out all my makeup when I'm done.

In the Heart of the Sea; The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick - DT likes sailing and whales and all things New England nautical, so I bought him this book for Christmas.  He flew through it while we were in Punta Cana, so I recently picked it up for myself.  Written as narrative non-fiction, we follow the story of the men aboard the whaleship Essex as they prepare and then set sail for their journey.  Tragedy ensues.  When you think the situation can't get any more dire, it does.  The crew does unthinkable things to survive.  In the Heart of the Sea is beautifully written, impeccably researched, and will stay with you long after the ship sinks.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I'm loving this book.  It follows two characters, Ifemelu and Obinze, as they meet cute in their home country of Nigeria, and then are separated through their different lives, one in America and the other in England.  The characters are fully fleshed out, interesting, and realistic.  Their experiences of being immigrants are dark, funny, tragic, and enlightening.  Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

Comments

Popular Posts