Currently Watching


The Leftovers // HBO's really going for the literary crowd lately, adapting novels for their shows.  I read The Leftovers a few years ago and like my experiences with many of Tom Perotta's novels, thought that it was a fascinating idea that didn't live up to its potential.  The show is three episodes in and while I wouldn't say I'm hooked, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Mostly this is due to the cast, who I think are doing outstanding work.  My one complaint, and I'm not alone in this, is that the show is too dark.  Yes, a tragedy occurred, but people cope in different ways, often with humor.  It is exhausting to be that dark, that heavy all the time.  This is a character study and I hope that other sides of those characters are shown.

The Conjuring //  As much as I love a bad horror movie, I love a great horror movie even more.  Again, this promarily leans on the cast for its greatness.  The story is not an original one, you've heard it all before, but the cast, including Lily Taylor, Vera Farmiga, and the eternally beautiful Patrick Wilson, really sell it and the directing is superb.  There are a few jumpy scare moments, but overall, the film successfully builds a feeling of unease that is truly creepy.

Hemlock Grove Season 2 //  "Good" is not a word I would use to describe Hemlock Grove, but that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining as hell.  Season Two was released on Netflix last Friday and I'm a few episodes in.  People who left town have come back and others who seemed dead don't seem that way any longer.  It's terrible in a "so-bad-it's-good" way.  Also, Bill Skarsgard (son of Stellan, brother of Alexander) has the largest mouth I've ever seen and since the majority of his actions are pouting and kissing, it's hypnotizing to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts